- What is it?
- In 2005, physicist Jorge E. Hirsch developed the h-index as a process for quantifying the output of an individual researcher. Hirsch argues: “I propose the index h, defined as the number of papers with citation number ≤ h, as a useful index to calculate the scientific output of a researcher” (Hirsch, J. E. (2005). An index to quantify an individual’s scientific research output. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 102(46), 16569-16572. doi:10.1073/pnas.0507655102).
- Remember that the h-index is one of many available bibliometric measures, but it is widely used.
- How can you enhance your h-index?
- Increase the citations of the papers that are ranked lower than your h-factor. So, if your h-factor is 10 that is, your 10th ranked paper has 10 citations, then if you can boost the citations of your 11th and 12th ranked papers to more than 12 then your h-factor rises to 12. Simple!
- How can Simuline help?
- We offer a simple, effective and ethical way of increasing the exposure of your work. We also help you to demonstrate the impact of your work on both your academic peers and society as a whole.
- Impact of research
- Does it matter?
- Well, it depends on where you are and who is funding your research. Many national and international funding bodies want you to show that the work that they are supporting is useful and is a benefit to a wider group of stakeholders. Some countries have a periodic assessment or evaluation of publicly funded researchers; in the UK the REF, and previously the RAE, is one example.
- How can you reliably demonstrate that your work has had an impact?
- Well, at Simuline we can help you publicise your work to a different group to your usual academic peers who read the journals that you publish in. We can help you to identify and quantify who has downloaded, used or even paid for a licence to use your research.
- IP ownership
- Who owns your work?
- The ownership of intellectual property is complex, especially if you are employed to create it; and it varies from country to country. We are unable to offer advice on the ownership of IP, but we can introduce you to IP lawyers you and advise you according to your individual circumstances.
- If I don’t own the commercial rights, what can I do?
Even if you are unable to benefit in financial terms, you can do a lot to improve your professional standing, employability, career progression and salary by showing that your work is in demand and has had an impact on your peers, on industry, and on society. Boosting your h-factor and generating a community of users of your work, are just two ways in which Simuline can help.
Simuline provides a technology transfer service for the academic and research communities to exploit and implement innovative algorithms
Simuline Trading Limited
21 High Street, Lutterworth, LE17 4AT